Sunday 21 November 2010

speechless

So I just wasted the most horrifying hour and a half of my life.

I watched The Human Centipede on Netflix and regret it completely. In all honesty, it wasn't the content that turned me off. Obviously the concept is disgusting and disgraceful, but I'd like to think I have a relatively strong stomach when it comes to the outrageous and nonsensical. Just about everything else was really what got me - the terrible acting, the shoddy camera work, the predictability and lack of suspense... I have now lost more than an hour of my life which I will never get back...
Once I can gather my thoughts I'll try to write something of substance about this movie.

For now I can only string together a few things about Centipede that I can't get out of my head:

Pro: No real background on the Doctor and his psychotic experimentation - I love a movie where we don't get an answer to any of the "whys?"
Con: There were moments in the film where it was clear they were trying to develop the character of the Doctor. It was too much for us to completely disconnect from him, but not enough that we understand his madness. In my opinion I don't think there's any room for this sort of middle ground character development. Either he's a crazed lunatic for no reason, or we learn of something substantial that causes him to be this way. Just a little of each makes our interpretation of him murky.
Pro: The Japanese actor - his lines were just horrible, but his delivery was impeccable. He definitely stole the movie.
Con: Nothing is left to the imagination - the "creature" is revealed right away. The reveal does have some hint of suspense, but for a really effective shock the wait should have been longer. The more build up, the better the surprise in the end.
Con: Why give them gauze diapers, but still keep the ladies topless? I know why - just because! Movies like this really bother me. Blood/guts/gore/sex just to be shocking. If it's not in any way related to the plot, then what's the point? The popularity of these shocker films is only growing (how many Saw's are there now!?)... and it's because viewers, writers, and even producers are getting lazy. Nobody cares enough about substance to pay attention to content... think about that one for a bit kids.

In the meantime, while I try to organize all the different things I have to say about this movie, I'm going to think about kittens, rainbows, and just about anything else that might make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment