Wednesday 20 October 2010

Summer's Lingerings


I try to shy away from indulging in blogging about myself, but this time I just can't help it.


Fall and winter are two of my least favorite seasons. Not because of the weather or the temperature - to be honest I actually really love the whole aura of autumn. Fall fashion is up there in my favorites list. I love wearing boots, and probably have more pairs than I do heels. Nothing is more satisfying than going out in a pair of jeans, boots, a t-shirt, and a light weight jacket.

What I dislike about this time of year is how it wreaks havoc on my hair. I'm not quite wavy, but I'm not a curly girl either. To make matters worse, my hair is baby-light, so it's incredibly difficult to control and style naturally. If I use too little product, my flies around with a mind of its own, and bares a striking resemblance to wispy airy cotton candy. If I put too much in my hair it gets weighed down, becoming almost straight at my crown but curly at the bottom.

There's very little room for compromise with my hair - it tends to do whatever it wants, particularly now. The back and forth of dry and humid air mixed with cooler temperatures makes for quite the interesting look, and leaves me reaching for a hair tie. As winter approaches, it gets drier and drier, and I often feel little shocks around my neck and ears when my down jacket creates static cling...

So, I'm often at a loss... What's a girl to do!?
I think I may have figured out the answer - reinstate summer products!

Summer is my season. I swim almost every weekend in the ocean, and something about that salt transforms my limp strands and makes me feel like a bombshell. My hair does exactly what I want it to! I have body, texture, and - more often than not - control. It's brilliant... But, now I'm stuck with what I've got, and what I've got isn't great.

This morning when I woke up I found myself staring in the mirror at the remnants of yesterday's satisfactory style. My hair was pressed flat on top, curly elsewhere and awkwardly wavy most everywhere else. In short, my style was inconsistent and unpleasant. And, having slept in longer than I expected, I didn't have time to shower this morning. I felt despondent. I had a full day of work ahead of me, dinner plans tonight, and refused to concede myself to a ponytail or bun.

It was at that moment that I remembered the best investment I had made in some time - Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray.
It is magical. Used on wet or dry hair, this product provides you with a windswept beachy look. Honestly, even the consistency of your locks has that soft but salty feel, as if you've been swimming all morning and let your hair dry in the sun. After flipping my head over and spraying around like a maniac, I scrunched and crunched until my hair felt dry again. I flipped back up and looked in the mirror... and my hair looked better than it has in weeks.

I love this little product!

No comments:

Post a Comment