Thursday 27 May 2010

BAM!


I generally don't make a habit of staying in all day and watching TV. But when given the opportunity, I won't turn it down.
Sitting around this morning - and up much earlier than I expected - I found myself watching Emeril Lagasse on the Food Network. Now, for the record, I LOVE the Food Network. Growing up I'd sit with my grandmother while she cooked something fantastic, and FN was almost always on in the background. To this day, whenever I go over to her apartment, she's got Guy Fieri or Ina Garten on TV, and something delicious on the stove.

Anyway, I've never been a big fan of Emeril's. I find him brash and overwhelming. And I can't put my finger on why, but it irks me to no end that the man has a band on his cooking set. Really, Emeril? You need to talk more by exchanging "witty" banter with your drummer? But the audience was going wild. They clap. They laugh. They cheer him on.
Still, all I can think of is how much I am put off by him. I don't know. I guess I don't get it. He's loud and obnoxious, but people seem to love him.

But I do need to give the man credit. For all his drawbacks, the man can cook.
Some of my favorite recipes have come from his little link on the Food Network website. I love caribbean flavors and a little spice goes a long way. Bobby Flay is my go-to for southwestern/latin-inspired food. But Emeril really does have a wide variety of delicious combinations and ideas.
One of the most appealing things about his cooking is the fact that it's all relatively simple. The ingredients are generally affordable and easily accessible. Nothing is very saucy, greasy, or starchy. And though his show is practically unbearable, I do like the fact that he is able to produce an entire meal with multiple courses for the viewer. Most shows stick to one recipe or a collection of desserts, or sometimes a variation of the same dish. Emeril provides a full menu which blends cohesively from course to course. There's an overarching theme - whether it be color, ingredient, spice, etc.

The show I caught today focused particular attention to combining spice with sweetness, focusing on fresh ingredients and bright yellow, pink and green colors.

Here are some of the things I intend on trying out myself.


And, no meal would be complete without a little cocktail to go along with it. Of course Emeril knows this, and included this classic Mojito. So I guess the guy's not all bad... He got one of my top 5 drinks really oh so right. Okay Emeril, you win this round. But I still think you're a loudmouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment